Proof of U.S. Citizenship

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

What Is Proof of U.S. Citizenship?

If you are a U.S. citizen, it is often necessary that you provide proof of your citizenship. For example, when traveling internationally, you may need to provide proof of U.S. citizenship in order to re-enter the U.S. Proof of U.S. citizenship is often required in other areas, such as obtaining employment or receiving government benefits.

U.S. citizenship is usually granted in two ways: either by birth or through the process of naturalization. However, both natural-born U.S. citizens and naturalized citizens need to furnish proof of U.S. citizenship at times.   

What Types of Documents Can Serve as Proof of U.S. Citizenship?

Proof of U.S. citizenship can come in different forms. The most common form is a birth certificate. If you were born in the U.S. or on U.S. territory abroad (including military grounds), then your birth certificate will provide the primary proof of U.S. citizenship. 

“Birth certificate” does not refer to the document issued at the hospital where you were born; it refers to a standard U.S. certificate that is issued by the U.S. government. 

Some other types of documents that provide proof of U.S. citizenship include:

The filing requirements and eligibility factors are different for each of these types of citizenship proofs. You may need to consult with a lawyer if you have questions about which type of document you need to obtain, or if you need to replace a certificate.

How Long Does It Take to Obtain Proof of U.S. Citizenship?

It depends on which type of document you are trying to obtain. In general, passports usually have the shortest processing and waiting time. It usually takes only 4-6 weeks to secure a U.S. passport. In some cases expedited or rush service can shorten the waiting period to 3 weeks.

The next shortest waiting periods are for the Certificates of Naturalization and Certificates of Consular Registration of Birth Abroad. These can take several months due to the registration processes involved. 

Lastly, the longest wait periods are for Certificates of Citizenship. These can take as long as one year to process.

Do I Need Lawyer for Assistance with U.S. Citizenship?

Obtaining proof of U.S. citizenship can sometimes be a complicated process. However, it is important that you have a current, valid form of proof, especially if you have just recently been granted citizenship. You may wish to contact an immigration lawyer for advice. Your lawyer can help you compile all the documents that will be needed during the application process.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 12-04-2014 03:00 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark