Find the right lawyer now

Replacing a Citizenship Certificate

Find a Local Immigration Lawyer near You

What Is a Certificate of Citizenship?

A certificate of citizenship is issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). It is proof that a person has obtained U.S. citizenship through derivation or acquisition at birth (when born outside the United States). This may occur when U.S. citizen parents give birth to a child in a foreign country.

What Is a Certificate of Naturalization?

A certificate of naturalization is also issued by the USCIS. It is also issued by the Federal Courts or some State Courts. It is proof that a person has obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization.

How Can I Apply for a Replacement of My Certificate?

If your current certificate of citizenship or naturalization is lost, destroyed, or mutilated, you should apply for a replacement. Also, if you have legally changed your name (i.e. court order, marriage, divorce), you may also apply for a replacement certificate. You should fill out and file Form N-565. File this form in person or by mail at your local USCIS office. Make sure to include the appropriate identification and filing fee. You must also submit current photographs.

Do I Need an Experienced Immigration Law Attorney?

An immigration lawyer would be able to guide you through the immigration laws and inform you of the proper procedure in obtaining a replacement certificate. You may also wish to contact your local USCIS office for the names of organizations that can help you file your application.

Photo of page author Adam Vukovic

, LegalMatch Legal Writer

Last Modified: 12-04-2014 02:59 PM PST

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.