Military Personnel Becoming U.S. Citizens

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

Can Noncitizen Members of the Military Become Citizens?

Yes. Members of the military who are not citizens, as well as their family members, may be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Who Is Considered a Member of the U.S. Armed Forces?

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces include people in who serve in one of the following branches:

Who Qualifies to Become a U.S. Citizen?

To become a U.S. citizen, there are certain requirements that everyone must meet. These requirements include:

What Other Requirements Are There?

Those who are currently serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, or whom were discharged from service must have:

How Do I Apply for Citizenship?

If a member of the military is plan on obtaining citizenship, they must apply for naturalization while still in service or within six months of being discharged. As a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, they do not have to file any fees when applying for citizenship and can apply even if stationed abroad.

What If a Family Member Died While Serving in the U.S. Armed Forces?

If requested, the United States will award posthumous citizenship to military personnel who died while serving. Moreover, family members of the deceased person will be given special consideration whenever applying for immigration status.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

If you are a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, and would like to apply for citizenship, an immigration attorney can ensure you meet the qualifications and have the necessary documentation to complete your application. If a family member died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, an attorney can determine if you may be entitled to special benefits when applying for immigration. 

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 08-25-2014 03:39 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark