A P-2 visa is a temporary employment visa for artists and entertainers who are entering the U.S. temporarily to participate in a cultural exchange program. It is reserved for participants in programs organized between the government of the United States, and the government of the applicant’s native country. Only a maximum of 25,000 P visas are issued every year.

How Do I Obtain a P-2 Visa?

The application must be submitted by the U.S. labor organization that negotiated the exchange agreement, the sponsoring organization, or a United States Employer. If you are an artist or entertainer looking to obtain a P-2 visa, you should contact the organization that represents you to see if they have any exchange programs with the United States.

An important difference between a P-1 visa and P-2 visa is that applicants for a P-2 visa do not need the level of accomplishment or fame required for a P-1 visa.

A P-2 visa is valid for the time required to complete the event which was the purpose of entering the U.S. in the first place. However, the visa’s time limit may not exceed one year.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Apply for a P-2 Visa?

If you need help with a visa application, you should contact an attorney. An experienced immigration lawyer will be able to tell you the requirements of a P-2 visa, help you fill out the necessary paperwork, and explain the process of obtaining a P-2 visa or any of the other visas that might be applicable to your situation.

An attorney can also help you obtain a P-4 visa if you are entering the country on a P-2 visa and wish to bring along your spouse and dependent children.