Work Permit Laws

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

Work Permit Laws

Because all U.S. employers are required to make sure employees are allowed to work in the United States, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) can be used by someone who is not a citizen or lawful permanent resident to prove they may work in the United States.

What Types of Employment Authorization Documents Are Available?

There are four different EADs available:

Who Qualifies for an Employment Authorization Document?

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents are not required to obtain a work permit. Those who need an EAD include:

What if My Application for an Employment Authorization Document Is Denied?

If you are denied an EAD, you are not allowed to appeal the decision to a higher authority. However, you are permitted to submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the office that denied you:

Do I Need a Lawyer?

An attorney familiar with immigration laws and regulations can determine if you are eligible to apply for an EAD permit, or a visa that would permit you to gain employment in the United States. An immigration lawyer can help prepare your application. If you are denied an EAD, an immigration attorney can review your denial letter and determine if you should file a motion to reopen or reconsider.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 06-08-2015 02:10 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark