Find the right lawyer now

J-2 Visa

Find a Local Immigration Lawyer near You

What Is a J-2 Visa?

The J-2 visa is available to the spouse or dependents of a J-1 visa holder. The J-1 visa allows individuals to temporarily reside in the United States in order to participate in cultural exchange programs sponsored by schools, businesses, or other U.S. State Department authorized organizations.

Like other “family” or “dependent” visas, the status of the J-2 visa holder is entirely dependent upon the status of the principal J-1 visa holder. If that visa of the principal J-1 visa holder expires, and the participant has to return to his or her home country, then so do his or her dependents here on J-2 visas.

What Can I Do on a J-2 Visa?

A J-2 visa holder is allowed to work while in the United States, provided that they are not working to support the J-1 visa holder. However, in order to legally work while in the U.S. on a J-2 visa, the visa holder must apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service for permission to seek employment. Once this permission is granted, the visa-holder may work for any employer, either full time or part time. There is no legal limit to what they can earn.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Apply for a J-2 Visa?

If you or a loved one needs help with a visa application, you should contact an attorney. An experienced immigration lawyer can tell you the requirements of a J-2 visa and explain the process of obtaining one or any of the other visas that might be applicable to your situation.

Photo of page author Jessica Tam

, LegalMatch Legal Writer

Last Modified: 06-17-2018 11:40 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.