M-2 Visa Lawyers

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

What Is an M-2 Visa?

An M-2 visa allows the spouse or dependent child of a person on an M-1 visa to enter the U.S. with their family member. The M-1 is a student visa that allows individuals enrolled in non-academic vocational training in the U.S. to enter and stay in the country legally for the duration of their studies.

Like other “family” or “dependent” visas, the status of an M-2 visa holder depends entirely upon the status of the principal M-1 visa holder. If the visa of the principal M-1 visa holder expires, then so do the visas of his or her dependents on M-2 visas.

How Do I Qualify for an M-2 Visa?

In order to qualify for an M-2 visa, the applicant must be the spouse or a child under the age of 21 of somebody who has qualified for an M-1 Visa.

What Can I Do on an M-2 Visa?

The M-2 visa allows its holder to enter the U.S., and during their stay, they can leave the country and reenter, just like the holder of an M-1 visa. A school-aged child on an M-2 visa is also allowed to attend school. However, nobody on either an M-1 or M-2 visa can seek or accept employment.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Apply for an M-2 Visa?

If you or a loved one needs help with a visa application, you should contact an attorney. An experienced immigration lawyer can tell you the requirements of an M-2 visa, help you fill out the necessary paperwork, and explain the process of obtaining an M-2 visa or any of the other visas that might be applicable to your situation.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 11-12-2013 11:03 AM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark