As a result of the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000, the U.S. government created the T-1 visa. The purpose of the T-1 visa is to protect victims of human trafficking, the sex trade or forced labor, who are physically present in the U.S. due to such trafficking.

What Is Required To Apply for a T-1 Visa?

To receive a T-1 visa, you must have had contact with law enforcement, either by reporting a crime or by responding to questions. If you have talked with state or local law enforcement, a federal law enforcement agency must also be alerted in order for you to obtain a T visa, since only federal agencies can investigate trafficking.

How Do I Apply for a T-1 Visa?

To apply for a T-1 Visa, you must complete Form I-914 "Application for T Nonimmigrant Status." Requirements of Form I-914 include:

  • The correct fee or a request for a fee waiver;
  • Current photos and a fingerprint fee;
  • Evidence that you would suffer extreme hardship if removed from the U.S.

May My Spouse or Children Be Admitted to the U.S. under a T-1 Visa?

If you have applied for or hold a T-1 visa, you can also apply to have immediate family members admitted to the U.S. by showing that they would suffer extreme hardship if they were not allowed to join you.

For How Long Is the T-1 Visa Valid?

The T-1 Visa is valid for three years from the date on which it is issued and is non-renewable. However, you can apply for permanent resident status within the 90 days that follow the visa expiration.

Do I Need A Lawyer to Get a T-1 Visa?

An Immigration Lawyer is in the best position to provide you extremely important information and advice regarding complex and constantly changing U.S. Immigration Laws.