Find the right lawyer now

P-1 Visa

Find a Local Immigration Lawyer near You

What Is a P-1 Visa?

A P-1 visa is a temporary employment visa that allows foreign nationals who are individual or team athletes or members of an entertainment group to enter the United States for a specific event or performance. Only a maximum of 25,000 P visas are issued every year. Other P visas include:

  • P-2 Visa: Artists and Entertainers performing under a cultural exchange program.
  • P-3 Visa: Artists and Entertainers performing under a culturally unique program.
  • P-4 Visa: For the spouse and dependent children of those who enter the U.S. on a P-1, P-2, or P-3 visa.

Anyone in the U.S. on a P-1 visa is allowed to accept payment for their performance and is allowed to compete for prize money in their athletic events.

There are no travel restrictions for a P-1 visa: the performer/athlete may travel anywhere in the U.S., and may leave the U.S. and reenter as long as the visa remains valid. The visa can be extended by up to 5 years, for a total maximum duration of 10 years.

How Do I Obtain a P-1 Visa?

In order to qualify for a P-1 visa, you have to be an internationally recognized athlete or a member of an internationally recognized entertainment group.

Entertainers on a P-1 visa must be performing as part of a group, not individually. Athletes, however, can perform individually.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Apply for a P-1 Visa?

If you need help with a visa application, you should contact an immigration attorney. An experienced immigration lawyer can tell you the requirements of a P-1 visa and can help you fill out the necessary paperwork.

A lawyer can also help you obtain a P-4 visa if you are entering the country on a P-1 visa and wish to bring along your spouse and dependent children.

Photo of page author Jessica Tam

, LegalMatch Legal Writer

Last Modified: 06-25-2018 12:25 AM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.