The V-2 is a non-immigrant visa that allows the unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) of a green card holder to enter the United States to live with their parent while they await a change in their immigration status.

How Can I Qualify for a V-2 Visa?

To qualify for a V-2 visa, the applicant must be the child of a green card holder, under 21 years old, and unmarried. The green card holder must have filed an I-130 form (petition for alien relative) and the applicant must also have been waiting for at least three years from the time the I-130 was filed.

If the green card holder becomes a U.S. citizen, then the applicant will no longer qualify for a V-2 Visa. Additionally, the applicant will no longer qualify for a V-2 visa if the green card holder withdraws the petition. However, if the applicant is in an abusive situation, they can self-petition to become a preference immigrant even if the green card holder has withdrawn the petition.

What Can I Do on a V-2 Visa?

The V-2 visa allows you to stay in the United States for two years. You can extend your visa for two-year periods for a maximum total stay of 10 years.

The holder of a V-2 visa may work legally in the U.S., and there are no travel restrictions. As long as the visa remains valid, you can move freely within the U.S. and you can leave and re-enter the country as you wish.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

If you or a loved one needs assistance with a visa application, you should contact an immigration lawyer. An experienced immigration lawyer can walk you through all the requirements for a V-2 visa and explain the process of obtaining one. Additionally, if you are denied a visa, a lawyer will be able to explain what other visa options are available to you and will be able to help you with the application.