Nonimmigrant Status Lawyers

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

How Can I Extend My Stay in the United States?

As a nonimmigrant, you must ask for permission to extend your stay from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You must do so before your authorized stay expires. If you wish to travel to the United States in the future, proof that you are willing to obey U.S. laws will be important. If you break any immigration laws, you may be subject to deportation or removal.

Who May Apply?

To apply to extend your stay in the United States:

Who May Not Apply?

If you were admitted into the United States in any of the following visa categories, you may not apply for an extension:

What is the Application Process?

The following nonimmigrant workers must have their employers read and file a CIS Form I-129 (Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker) with any supporting documentation:

Those in the following categories should read and complete Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) themselves and submit required documents:

The application and fee should be sent to the USCIS Service Center in the area where you are staying. If your nonimmigrant status is work-related, the application should be sent to the Service Center serving the area in which you work.

What if My Authorized Stay Has Already Expired?

If you do not file your extension on time, you must show that:

Do I Need a Lawyer to Extend My Nonimmigrant Status?

An experienced immigration attorney can inform you of the proper steps to take in order to extend your stay. An immigration lawyer also can tell you which forms to fill out based on your particular situation.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 02-01-2013 04:02 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark