A Q visa is a type of temporary visa available to non-immigrants that want to participate in an exchange visitor program. The purpose of the Q visa is to provide practical training and employment as long as there is a sharing of history, culture, and traditions of the visa holder’s home country.

Can I Get a Q Visa?

In order to qualify for a Q Visa, you must:

  • Find a paying employer to be your sponsor
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have the ability to communicate effectively
  • Demonstrate binding ties to a residence in a foreign country with no intention of abandoning it, such as maintaining a residence in a foreign country
  • Show you will only be in the U.S. for a temporary period

What Is an International Cultural Exchange Program?

Before applying for a Q visa, the employer must obtain approval of their international cultural exchange program. The program must take place in a school, museum, or other location where the public can be exposed to the foreign culture, and the cultural component must be an essential part of the visa holder’s employment or training. An immigration attorney can assist you in obtaining approval of your program.

Employer Requirements for Sponsoring a Q Visa Holder

An employer must show:

  • That the holder of the Q visa will be paid a comparable wage and provided comparable working condition
  • Financial ability to pay the wage

May My Spouse or Children Accompany Me to the U.S.?

The Q visa does not include the admission of spouses or minor children. However, there may be other options available to you and your family, such as a B2 visa.

How Long Will My Q Visa Be Valid?

Q visas typically only last for 15 months and are not renewable. However, a Q visa permits the holder to apply for a change of status. A lawyer will be able to help guide a Q visa holder through the process of changing their immigration status.

Should I Consult an Immigration Lawyer?

Since there are so many different types of visas available,  a Q visa may not be the right visa for your situation. An immigration lawyer can help you figure out which visa is best for your situation. Also, an immigration attorney can help you with any other immigration problems you might have, such as procuring additional visas for your family members.