A B-2 visa is used by foreign visitors who come to the United States to travel for pleasure or who seek medical treatment.

Examples of B-2 Activities

  • Tourism
  • Visit family and friends
  • Medical treatment

Applying for a B-2 Visa

To get a B-2 visa you must show the following:

  • The purpose of the trip is for pleasure;
  • The trip is limited to a specific period of time; and
  • Because of social and economic ties outside the United States, you will return abroad at the end of your trip.

Medical Treatment

A B-2 visa may be used to come to the United States for medical treatment. In addition to the B-2 application you must supply information about your medical treatment, including:

  • A doctor’s diagnosis of your condition and why treatment in the United States is needed
  • A letter from a doctor or hospital in the United States that includes:
    • Statement indicating willingness to treat your condition;
    • Estimate of all medical costs and fees;
    • Estimate of duration of treatment; and
    • Evidence that you and/or your sponsor have sufficient funds to cover your travel and medical expenses.

What If I Want to Host a Visitor?

For visas, applicants must qualify on their own. By consulting with an attorney, you can ensure the applicant has all the information to submit a correct application and explain to the applicant all the standards for visa issuance.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

There are so many different types of visas available and a B-2 visa may not be the best available option. Consulting with an immigration attorney can help determine which visa is best for you. An experienced immigration lawyer can help you complete your application and with any other immigration issues you might have.