Although slip and fall accidents may not seem to be that big of a deal, they can lead to broken limbs, concussions, and other serious injuries. The main cause of injuries in hotels, public buildings, and restaurant are slip and fall accidents.
The following statistics demonstrate the seriousness of slip and fall accidents:
- Slip and fall accidents account for 8.9 million visits to the emergency room each year.
- In 2009, slip and fall accidents caused over 25,000 deaths.
- In 2010, slip and fall accidents involving people of 65 or older resulted in $30 billion in medical costs.
- Injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents are the leading cause of death among people over the age of 65 in the United States.
- 23% of all workplace injuries in 2012 resulted from slip and fall accidents.
- The average hospitalization cost of a slip and fall accident is more than $34,000.
- There were 822 deaths resulting from slip and fall accidents while the victims were on the job in 2007.
- 22% of slip and fall accidents result in work absences of 31 days or more each year.
- The grocery store industry, as a whole, spends about $450 million each year in litigating slip and fall claims.
Should I Contact a Personal Injury Attorney?
Slip and fall accidents can end up being quite expensive after accounting for medical costs and lost wages. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you recover the costs of your injuries from a slip and fall accident.