Slip and Fall Lawyers
What Does a Slip and Fall Lawyer Do?
A slip and fall accident is an umbrella term used to refer to a wide variety of personal injury claims. These claims occur when someone slips or falls on another’s property due to some kind of dangerous condition being present. The dangerous condition causing injury could be almost anything, such as poor lighting or broken handrails to a staircase.
When a person is injured in a slip and fall accident, they could have grounds for a premise liability claim. Premise liability claims are a specific type of personal injury claim in which a claimant seeks to hold a property owner responsible for the injuries that they received on their land.
A slip and fall lawyer, or personal injury lawyer, is a specific type of attorney who offers legal services to those who have been injured because of another person. The main task for a slip and fall attorney is to serve as a sort of barrier between their injured client and anyone who would complicate their healing process. These attorneys protect their client’s legal rights, and provide relevant information to all requesting parties such as the police and opposing counsel.
Some broad examples of what a slip and fall lawyer does include:
- Discussing the accident with their client;
- Notifying all relevant parties of representation;
- Advising their client of their legal rights and what they may expect;
- Case investigation, including contacting the establishment and maintaining any video evidence and gathering any incident report. It is important to note that you should contact an attorney as early as possible in a slip and fall case, as most establishments do not maintain videos for longer than a 24 to 48 hour period;
- Conducting discovery, which includes contacting all witnesses, and gathering the various witnesses’ testimony;
- Initiating a legal claim by drafting a formal complaint, and filing the claim in the appropriate court;
- Discussing the claim with their client’s insurance provider, as well as the opposing party’s insurance provider in cases of negligence; and
- Representing their client in court, as necessary.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Slip and Fall Lawyer?
There are several benefits to hiring a slip and fall lawyer. First and foremost, they will be aware of local laws and statutes that may affect your case. Additionally, they will have a greater understanding of which parties involved in the claim are actually relevant, as well as what information should be released to them. A slip and fall lawyer will analyze unique and potential legal issues, and provide you with an idea of what you can expect should your case go to trial.
Hiring a slip and fall lawyer gives you better representation, as well as peace of mind. They will have access to information that you may not have access to yourself, even though such information would serve your best interests and rights.
How Can I Find a Slip and Fall Attorney?
One of the best ways to locate a slip and fall attorney is by using LegalMatch. LegalMatch exists to match clients with qualifying attorneys ready to handle their case. All attorneys are pre-screened and bar certified, and the service is free to use.
LegalMatch works by first asking you to provide details concerning your legal issue. As LegalMatch is a nationwide service, they can provide assistance if you live in one area but require legal assistance in another. Immediately once you have presented your case, potential attorneys are emailed and within 24 hours, they will review the facts and determine whether they can take your case. Attorneys interested in your case will respond, and you choose the lawyer that best suits your needs.
Some other ways to find a slip and fall attorney include:
- Other attorney matching services;
- Word of mouth;
- Recommendations from friends, family, and your community;
- Web searches; and
- Attorney referral services provided by a state’s legal bar association.
Should You Hire a Slip and Fall Attorney?
If you were injured in a slip and fall incident, or someone was injured on your property, you should consult with a skilled and knowledgeable slip and fall attorney. An experienced and local personal injury attorney will work to verify the details of your case, and determine the best possible course of action to move forward.
If you were injured, a slip and fall attorney can work towards a damages award. If you were the negligent party, an attorney can determine whether any defenses are available to you based on the specifics of your case while defending your rights. In either scenario, it is a good idea to hire a slip and fall attorney as they will be knowledgeable of all the local rules regarding personal injury matters. Finally, an experienced attorney will also be able to represent your interests in court, as needed.