Changing Your Gender on a Birth Certificate in New York

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Family Law Issues:

How to Changing Your Gender on a Birth Certificate in New York

Following a sex change, a person must file many legal changes to truly reflect his or her new identity. Such changes include getting a new birth certificate. In New York, the state will issue a new birth certificate reflecting the proper sex.

What Do I Need?

In order to obtain a new birth certificate, you must obtain a court order and proof that you have undergone reassignment surgery. Furthermore, you letters from the surgeon specifying the date, place and type of sex reassignment surgery performed, operative post-surgery report, and medical records. The court order must state the name change and the gender change. If the court order only states one but not the other, New York will only make one of the changes and you will have to file additional paperwork.

Where Do I File the Paperwork?

After obtaining the court order, you must fill out an application and send it to the New York State Department of Health, Vital Records Division. If the application is satisfactory, then the Vital Records Division will issue you a new birth certificate.

Do I Need a New York Lawyer?

Since there are many obstacles in obtaining a new birth certificate, an experienced family law lawyer can aid you in the process. Additionally, he can make sure all your paperwork is up to par such that the process will not be delayed.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 04-16-2014 04:10 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark