Title IX provides that no one will be discriminated against on the basis of sex by any educational program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. Public schools receive federal financial assistance, and therefore are covered by Title IX.
What Areas of Education are Protected under Title IX?
Title IX protects against sexual harassment in various school settings. These include:
- Athletic programs
- Admissions policies
- Education employer liability
- Vocational training programs
What Types of Education Settings Create Valid Title IX Claims?
There are different forms of sexual harassment, and each claim is very unique. Some Title IX violations in the education system have occured from:
- Unwelcome sexual advances from an education employee toward a student
- Student participatory discrimination based on gender of interscholastic athletics
- Higher admission standards for one sex over the other
- Teacher to student sexual harassment
Should I Seek an Experienced Attorney about a Title IX Violation?
Title IX claims arising from sexual harassment can be very difficult and time consuming to pursue without an attorney. Especially in the school environment, these types of claims involve a variety of issues that need a great deal of investigation. A harassment lawyer or a family lawyer should assist you with the many components and requirements that go into such a case. An experienced attorney can explore any remedies that may be available to you.