Correcting a Birth Certificate in New York

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Family Law Issues:

Correcting a Birth Certificate in New York

Spotting errors on your child’s birth certificate may bring you some unease. Since a birth certificate is required for most initial legal aspect of your child’s life, you will want to correct any errors as soon as possible.

In New York, there are two different procedures to correct a birth certificate. One procedure is for children under 12 months of age, and another is for people older than 12 months of age.

For a Child under 12 Months

If your child is under 12 months of age, then correcting errors on his birth certificate is a much simpler process. The easiest method is to bring the birth certificate correction application and a copy of the original birth certificate to the hospital where your child was born

For a Child Older than 12 Months

For persons 12 months or older, correcting errors on his birth certificate require an extra level of proof. The person applying for the changes must have documentation of why the change is necessary. This is to prevent fraud.

What Types of Documentation Do I Need?

You are required to provide supporting documentation that is authentic (i.e. documents on official letterhead or with an original seal). These documentations are generally established prior to the person’s 7th birthday or the documents are at least 10 years old. These documents help establish:

How Do I Get a New Birth Certificate?

To obtain a corrected birth certificate, you must take the following steps:

  1. Complete the birth certificate correction application.
  2. Both named parents must sign the application.
  3. Both named parents must provide photo identification.
  4. Provide supporting documentation.
  5. Submit the original and copies of the application.
  6. Submit the necessary fees.
  7. Wait for the new birth certificate.

Consulting an Attorney

If you need help getting a new birth certificate, especially with finding the supporting documentation, then please contact an experienced family law lawyer. If you misapply and the new birth certificate contains more errors, then there may be dire consequences.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 04-16-2014 04:00 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark