Ketamine, referred to as a club drug, can be extremely popular with minors. But in California, there are laws to punish anyone involved in selling, supplying, giving away, or administering ketamine to a minor.

What Does Selling Ketamine to a Minor Refer To? 

It means the defendant exchanged something of value, such as goods, money, or service, with a minor for the purposes of selling them ketamine. 

What If I Didn’t Sell the Drug, But Gave it Away Instead?

In California, giving away a controlled substance is a crime. The defendant can still face criminal charges.

What Does It Mean If I Am Accused of Administering Ketamine to a Minor?

It means the defendant purposefully applied the drug to a minor. For example, the defendant may have injected the drug into the minor or put it into another substance, like a drink.

What Will Prosecutors Have to Prove Regarding Me Giving, Selling, Administrating or Furnishing Ketamine to a Minor?

A prosecutor must prove beyond a reasonable doubt a defendant: 

  • Unlawfully furnished, sold, administered, or gave away ketamine to a minor
  • Knew about the presence of the drug
  • Knew the drug was ketamine
  • Was older than 18 years old at the time
  • The ketamine was in a useable amount
  • The person receiving the drug was under 18 years old
  • Gave the minor ketamine

What is the Penalty to Proving, Administering, Furnishing, or Giving Ketamine to a Minor?

A defendant convicted of the charge faces a felony conviction, punishable by 3 to 9 years in prison. 

Are There Any Defenses Against Offering Ketamine to a Minor?

Yes, there are a few defenses. Such as:

  • The defendant did not offer, furnish, or administer the ketamine to a minor;
  • The defendant did not intend to offer, furnish, or administer ketamine to a minor;
  • The defendant does not even have access or possession of ketamine; or
  • Illegal search and seizure of the evidence.

Can a Lawyer Help Me with My Charge?

Yes. Contact a California criminal lawyer for help with your criminal case.