An alcohol-related crime is a criminal act involving an alcoholic beverage. In Utah, there are numerous laws regarding the consumption, sale, and transfer of alcoholic beverages. In the state, a criminal conviction can lead to serious criminal penalties.

Can I Get in Trouble for Being Drunk in Public?

Yes. Public intoxication is defined as an individual being so intoxicated that the person becomes a danger to the person or others. In Utah, public intoxication is a Class C misdemeanor.

What is Minor in Possession Charge in Utah Refer To?

Minor in possession, or MIP, makes it illegal for anyone under 21 years old to:

  • Possess alcohol
  • Consume alcohol
  • Attempt to purchase alcohol
  • Actually purchase alcohol
  • Solicit someone else to purchase alcohol on their behalf

Minors can be charged with MIP in Utah if a measurable amount of alcohol is found in their urine, blood, or breath.

Fines and jail time are possible with this conviction.The state may also take your driver’s license.

Can I Be Convicted of Giving Alcohol to a Minor in Utah?

Furnishing alcohol to a person under the age of 21 years is a misdemeanor. To furnish means to sell, provide, or offer to sale alcohol to a minor. Penalties include a year in jail and fines.

What Is an Open Container Charge?

In Utah, an individual can be charged with open container if the person transports, possesses or carries an open container of alcohol in a vehicle’s passenger compartment. Open containers of alcohol in a vehicle’s trunk doesn’t apply. A conviction carries a 90-day jail sentence and a fine.

Do I Need an Attorney to Fight an Alcohol-Related Charge?

Yes, contact a criminal defense attorney to discuss your charge. The attorney will explain your case and investigate how to fight the criminal charge.