H-1B Visa Quota

Authored by , LegalMatch Legal Writer

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

What Is an H-1B Visa?

An H-1B visa is a temporary worker visa that allows certain people to live and work in the United States for a limited period of time. With the sponsorship of a U.S. employer, a foreigner with special skills in fields such as science, medicine, engineering, law, education, etc. can come to the United States and work for three years. This term can be extended up to a total of six years in the United States.

What Are the Requirements to Obtain an H-1B Visa?

Only certain jobs qualify for obtaining an H-1B visa. For example, it only applies to jobs that require specialized knowledge and at least a B.A or an equivalent degree. The job must also not adversely affect the wages of American workers or displace American workers

Additionally, there is a quota on the amount of H-1B visas that may be issued per year. For the fiscal year 2008, the quota was 150,000. That limit was reached on April 2, 2007, the first day for filing an application for an H-1B visa. This shows that there is a large demand for H-1B visas and in order to obtain one you must file quickly.

Do I Need An Attorney?

As H-1B visas are in high demand, it is important to contact an attorney in order to ensure your paperwork is processed efficiently. Without the help of an experienced immigration attorney, you may have trouble obtaining your visa before the quota is reached.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 12-10-2013 12:00 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

H-1B Visa Quota, visa quota,temporary visas,immigration law,visa,legal,law,immigration,visas