Foreign Child Adoption Lawyers
What Agencies Will I Have to Work With to Adopt a Foreign Born Child?
To adopt a child born overseas you will have to meet the requirements set forth by:
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS);
- The foreign country in which the child resides; and
- Your state of residence.
What is the Easiest Way to Adopt a Child?
The procedure to adopt a foreign born child involves:
- Filing advance paperwork with the USCIS attesting to your parental ability and stable home environment
- Locating an orphan abroad
- Adopting the child following the laws of the child's home country
- Filing an Orphan Petition to classify the child as your relative to bring the child to the United States
Will the Child I Adopt Get a Visa?
Generally, the United States will issue a permanent resident visa after the Orphan Petition is approved. The child will not have to be placed on a waiting list.
Can My Adopted Child Automatically Gain U.S. Citizenship?
It is possible that your adopted child can automatically acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry to the U.S. with a visa, if:
- At least one parent of the adopted child is a U.S. citizen;
- The adopted child is under 18; and
- The adoption is final.
Will the Overseas Adoption Be Valid in the U.S?
Generally, the adoption of a child in a foreign court is automatically legal in the Untied States. But states are not required to automatically recognize the adoption so you may want to re-adopt the child in a state court and obtain a state birth certificate.
Do I Need a Lawyer to Adopt a Foreign Born Child?
Because of the complex procedures and documents needed by U.S. and foreign agencies, an immigration attorney specializing in foreign adoptions can make sure you have everything you need for a smooth adoption and transition for your new child. An immigration lawyer can also ensure your child¿s adoption is recognized by your state.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 10-05-2011 11:09 AM PDT
Did you find this article informative?
Link to this page