Generally, only U.S. citizens who are at least 21 years old may sponsor their parents to permanently reside in the United States. Lawful permanent residents, such as green card holders, cannot bring their parents.

What Materials Will I Need?

The materials you must provide the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services vary depending on which parent you want to bring. For example, if you were born out of wedlock and never legitimated by your father you will need to furnish different materials than if you were sponsoring your mother. Some common documents include:

  • A copy of your birth certificate
  • Your U.S. passport
  • Legal evidence of any name changes
  • Civil marriage certificate

How Long Will it Take Before I Can Bring My Parent?

Because your parents are considered immediate relatives they do not have to sit on a green card wait list or be subjected to the number of green cards issued to their country. But, it may take up to a year while the application is processed. It is important that you provide all of the documentation needed for the authorities to process your application.

If I Was Adopted Can I Bring My Birth Parents?

Legally adopted children may not sponsor their birth parents to permanently reside in the Untied States. An immigration attorney can suggest alternate methods for adopted children to bring their birth parents to the United States.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Bring My Parents into the United States?

Because the immigration authorities require different information depending on your legal relationship with your parents, an immigration attorney can help you determine which documents you need so that your petition is approved as quickly as possible. An experienced immigration lawyer can help you file your petition and suggest methods to bring other relatives to the United States.