Violence Against Women Act Lawyers

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

What is the Violence against Women Act?

Many abused spouses and children are afraid to report abuse to the authorities. The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) was enacted by Congress to allow battered spouses or children to apply for immigration benefits. VAWA allows them to self-petition for lawful permanent residency. Certain sections of VAWA allow abused immigrants to file for benefits without the abuser's knowledge or assistance.

Who May Self-Petition?

To self-petition, you must fall under one of these categories:

How Do I Apply for Immigration Benefits?

If you are a battered spouse or child who would like to self-petition, complete and file Form I-360. Make sure you include all the documentation needed to support your position. File your self-petition with the Vermont Service Center and mail it by certified return receipt mail. Do not send your I-360 to another USCIS office or it will be delayed. Keep copies of everything that you send.

What Happens after I Self-Petition?

There are many steps in the process of receiving your immigration benefits:

Do I Need an Experienced Immigration Law Attorney?

An experienced lawyer would be able to help you navigate through the various immigration laws and agencies concerning your case. A lawyer would be able to help you through the process of applying for and providing evidence for your petition.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 12-31-2014 10:14 AM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark