If you have the leave the United States because of an emergency, you may need to obtain travel documents to re-enter the country. There are many travel documents that you must obtain if you wish to re-enter the country after traveling outside the United States. One of these documents includes advanced parole.

What Is Advance Parole?

Advance parole allows foreign nationals who are traveling abroad to re-enter the U.S. if they do not have a valid immigrant visa. Generally, aliens who have pending applications for immigration benefits or who want to change their non-immigrant status will need advance parole to re-enter the United States after going overseas.

When Should I Apply For Advance Parole?

If you are applying for advance parole because you have a pending application for adjustment of your residency status, you must be approved for advance parole before you leave the United States. This is to avoid the termination of your pending application for adjustment of status. You should also apply for advance parole if:

  • H-1B visas and their dependents
  • L-1 visas and their dependents
  • V visas
  • K visas

Do I Need a Lawyer?

Due to increased security threats and changes to U.S. immigration law, travel outside the United States may have severe consequences for people adjusting their status or extending their non-immigrant stay. Since you may not be allowed to re-enter the country if you do not have the proper documentation, an experienced immigration attorney can ensure that you have the proper documentation that you need before you leave.