Farm accidents are injuries or accidents resulting from performing work on a farm. These can involve a variety of settings, including smaller ranch-type farms to large-scale crop farms. Like any work setting, farms can involve a number of hazards and factors that pose a risk of injury. Some common types of farm accidents include:
- Vehicular accidents on the site (such as tractor, lawn tractor, truck, ATV, or motorcycle accidents)
- Accidents involving farm equipment and tools
- Injuries involving animals and animal attacks
- Accidents or injuries resulting from exposure to pesticides and other chemicals
- Slip and fall type injuries
- Injuries resulting from overexertion, heat stroke, overworking, etc.
- Various other types of accidents
How is Liability for a Farm Accident Processed Under Law?
Farm accidents can involve a number of different injury laws and legal concepts. In particular, certain types of liability may be tied to a farm accident. For instance, a farm accident can involve:
- Product defect (for instance, if a farm vehicle or tool is defective and causes injury to a worker)
- Unsafe working conditions (such as those resulting in overexertion of a worker)
- Negligence – when a co-worker or supervisor disregards their duty of safety to another, resulting in injury
These may require different types of proof and evidence in order to show liability. For instance, for a product defect claim, the injured person may need to show that the product was defective when they obtained the product, that the product was the cause of their injury, and that they were using the product in the manner in which it was intended.
What are the Legal Remedies in a Farm Accident Lawsuit?
Farm accidents can often be serious and can result in major bodily harm to a person on the premises. These types of incidents may require legal action to resolve outstanding issues. In many cases, a monetary damages award may be appropriate to compensate the injured party for losses.
These damages can cover costs such as those associated with medical bills and lost wages. In instances where the property damage is involved, the damages award may also address those losses as well. Some farm accidents may involve several people or several parties.
Do I Need a Lawyer for Assistance with a Farm Accident Claim?
Farm accidents and injuries can be complex and may require legal action to fully resolve. You may wish to hire a personal injury attorney in your area if you need any assistance with a farm accident lawsuit. Your lawyer can advise you on your case and can provide you with information and guidance throughout the process. Also, if you need to appear in court, your attorney can represent you during those times as well.