Montana Labor Laws - Find Labor Lawyers MT

Locate a Local Employment Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Employment Law Issues:

Labor Laws of Montana

Montana has enacted several laws, including the Montana Human Rights Act, designed to protect employees from abuse by their employers. These laws cover part-time and full-time designations, minimum wage, overtime, paid leave, and discrimination.

Part-time vs. Full-time

Under the laws of Montana, you are considered a “full-time” employee if you typically work over 40 hours during a given work week. Those working less than 40 hours are considered “part-time” employees.

Minimum Wage

As of January 1, 2017, the minimum wage in Montana increased to $8.15 per hour. This was an increase of 15 cents from 2016. The minimum wage does not apply to employees of companies with gross annual earning of less than $110,000 (these employees are entitled to a minimum wage of $4.00 per hour).


Generally, most employees in Montana must be paid a least one and one-half times their normal hourly rate for each hour of overtime worked. Overtime work usually means hours worked more than 40 hours in a work week. However, there are important exceptions:

Employees may also have further rights under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).


Under the Montana Human Rights Act, an employer may not discriminate against an employee due to their:

There are many areas of employment law and if you have suffered from employment discrimination for any reasons then you should contact a lawyer.

Time Off

Montana does not require employers to pay overtime to employees working holidays. Employers are also not required to pay employees for sick leave or time off. While in many instances federal law requires employers to provide health insurance, Montana does not make such requirements.

Where Can I Find a Local Lawyer to Help Me?

Contact a local lawyer today if you believe that your employer has treated you improperly.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 02-23-2017 01:30 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark