Misrepresentation of product features occurs when a manufacturer, seller, or dealer of a product knowingly makes false or untrue statements regarding a product’s capabilities or characteristics. Features are often the main selling point of some products. Thus, if a seller makes misrepresentations regarding important features, it can cause a person to make a decision they otherwise might not have made.
Consumer protection laws and various contract-related laws make it illegal to make misrepresentations about a product’s features. These types of violations can lead to legal consequences and lawsuits. Many misrepresentation cases also involve some aspect of false or deceptive advertising.
What are Some Common Misrepresentations of Product Features?
Common examples of misrepresented product features include:
- Misrepresentations regarding the memory, capacity, and performance speed of computers, phones, and other electronic products
- False information regarding vehicle speed, gas mileage, airbags, and other automobile features
- False information regarding product feature defects
- Misrepresentations regarding the age of used products
- Misrepresentations regarding the quality of materials used in the product’s construction
- False information regarding the number of items or units contained in a product package
- Other similar misrepresentations
Misrepresentation of features can happen in large consumer fraud cases, or in smaller personal transactions involving a private contract.
Are there any Legal Remedies for Misrepresentation of Product Features?
Misrepresentation of product features can lead to a variety of legal remedies. These may include:
- Monetary damages for losses caused by the misrepresentation
- Product recalls or discontinuation of the product
- Return or refund of the product, plus any additional costs
A major concern with misrepresentation of product features is where the misrepresentation leads to significant injury of the person. For instance, serious injury can result if misrepresentations are made about car airbags or other safety restraint systems. In such cases, additional damages may result in connection with the injuries caused.
Do I Need a Lawyer for Assistance with a Misrepresentation of Product Features Lawsuit?
Misrepresentation of product features is a serious violation and is prohibited under state and federal laws. You may need to hire a products and services lawyer in your area if you need assistance with any type of product legal issue. Your attorney can provide you with legal information and research for your claim, and can also represent you in court during critical meetings and hearings.