Mass Tort Litigation
Locate a Local Personal Injury Lawyer
What Is Mass Tort Litigation?
Mass tort litigation is a specific area of personal injury law that involves injuries or losses to large groups of persons. They commonly involve injuries sustained from defective products that have affected a large portion of the population. Because so many people are involved in mass tort claims, they are generally filed as class action lawsuits.
Many mass tort claims seek to hold large corporations and businesses liable for injuries to the public. The damages awards in such cases can often be staggeringly high; therefore, some states have limited the amount of damages that a party can collect in a personal injury suit, especially those involving punitive damages for medical malpractice. However, plaintiffs usually receive a fair amount of compensation in mass tort lawsuits.
What Types of Personal Injuries are Commonly Involved in Mass Litigation?
Most mass tort litigation claims involve personal injuries that are related to:
- Product recalls or defective products, especially car recalls
- Food, beverage, and water illnesses
- Tobacco injuries
- Cosmetic implants and surgically implanted medical devices
- Asbestos and other toxic exposure torts
- Health code violations
Many other types of personal injury claims can fall under the category of mass litigation laws. These will of course depend on the nature of the injuries involved, as well as the personal injury laws in each state.
What Should I Do If I Believe I Have a Mass Tort Claim?
Most mass tort lawsuits are very, very complicated claims. They are best managed through the expert assistance of a qualified personal injury lawyer. If you’ve been injured in what appears to be a mass tort claim, you should take the following steps:
- Compile documents and forms that may be related to your injuries, including hospital bills, medicine receipts, and pay stubs for proving lost wages
- Keep all information related to witnesses and witness testimony
- You may wish to speak with others who may have been injured by the same cause; however, don’t divulge any information to different people without your attorney’s consent
Should I Hire a Lawyer?
Mass tort litigation is a highly complex area of law, and many state laws can be different from one another. In most cases, the assistance of a qualified injury lawyer is absolutely necessary when participating in mass tort litigation. It’s to your advantage to seek the counsel and advice of a personal injury lawyer, who can help file your claim and represent you in a court of law.
Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 10-08-2014 04:37 PM PDT
Link to this page