Making a Constitutional Challenge to a Zoning Ordinance Lawyers

Locate a Local Real Estate Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Real Estate Issues

Can I Challenge the Constitutionality of a Zoning Ordinance?

In order to have standing to challenge a zoning ordinance in court, you must show that your rights as a property owner are being infringed upon by the zoning ordinance and that you have suffered an undue hardship as a result.

If you want to challenge the constitutionality of a particular zoning ordinance, you can allege one of the following:

What Do I Need to Prove?

As with any claim you might make on constitutional grounds, proving that a zoning ordinance is unconstitutional requires that you prove to a court that you have been denied a right that is fundamentally guaranteed to you by the U.S. Constitution.

Regardless of which challenge you are making, you will need to show that you have suffered an actual loss as a result of the ordinance. For example, if a zoning ordinance prevents you from practicing your profession in your home, you will have to demonstrate to the court that you are suffering a loss of income as a result of the restriction.  

Should I Consult a Real Estate Attorney?

If you believe that you have suffered as the result of an unconstitutional zoning ordinance affecting your property, you should see a real estate attorney with experience in property litigation. He or she will be able to preserve your constitutional rights and help you seek any remedies that may be available to you.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 01-29-2014 04:47 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark