Find the right lawyer now

Noise Ordinance Laws

Find a Local Real Estate Lawyer near You

What Are Noise Ordinances?

Noise Ordinances are local laws prohibiting excessive and unnecessary noise. Ordinances often include prohibitions on excessive noise during specified time periods, such as between the hours of 10:00 pm and 7:00 am on weekdays. Noise ordinances may also prohibit continuous noise from industrial or commercial businesses near residential areas.

What Should I Do about My Noisy Neighbor?

The first thing you should do if you think your neighbor is being unreasonably loud is approach them and talk to them about the problem. Communication often leads to a resolution. Next, warn your neighbor that you will call the police or take legal action if they are in violation of a noise ordinance. Finally, call the police and report the noise if your neighbor has ignored your warnings.

When Can I Sue My Noisy Neighbor?

You may be able to sue your neighbor for monetary damages or get a court order forcing your neighbor to stop making the noise. In order to succeed you will likely be required to show: 

  • The existence of excessive and unreasonable noise
  • Your neighbor is responsible for the noise
  • Your neighbor refuses to stop making the noise
  • The noise adversely affects your enjoyment of your home

How Can a Lawyer Help?

If you think you may want to sue your neighbor for violating a noise ordinance, or if a similar lawsuit has been brought against you, a real estate lawyer may help you understand your legal rights and options. A real estate attorney will know your local laws, and may also be able to suggest alternatives to litigation, such as mediation.

Photo of page author Matthew Izzi

, LegalMatch Legal Writer and Attorney at Law

Last Modified: 03-07-2018 03:48 AM PST

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.