Keytruda (generic name Pembrolizumab) is a type of medication prescribed for various cancer conditions. These can include advanced melanoma, non-small cell lung cancer, and head and neck squamous cell cancer. Keytruda works by altering the protective mechanism on cancer cells and altering the immune system to destroy cells.
One of the main dangers and side effects of Keytruda and other related drugs is that they can cause the immune system to attack normal organs and tissues of the body. Such conditions can become serious and may even be life-threatening. Specific side effects and injuries can include:
- Lung problems such as pneumonitis
- Intestinal holes (colitis)
- Liver problems
- Hormonal and glandular problems
- Kidney failure
- Various other problems with different internal organs
Liability for Keytruda injuries can be traced to various parties. These can include:
- Manufacturers of the drug (especially if there is a product defect involved, such as an issue with the dosage amount)
- Pharmacy professionals (for instance, if they wrongly prescribe Keytruda)
- Physicians, nurses and other persons liable for medication error malpractice (for instance, negligently administering the wrong dose to a patient)
Determination of liability may be based on a number of factors, including the degree of injury and the medical records of the patient.
As mentioned, Keytruda injuries can be very serious and may involve several complex legal issues. In many cases, legal action is needed to resolve disputes or conflicts. In such lawsuits, a monetary damages award may be issued to the injured party to compensate them for their losses. These can include medical costs, costs associated with hospital stays and medication, surgery costs, lost wages, and other expenses.
In some cases involving wrongful death, damages may also be issued to survivors of the victim. Also, in cases where several persons have been injured by the same drug or the same issue, a class action suit may be filed in relation to the injuries.
Keytruda lawsuits can be complex and may require the assistance of a lawyer. It may be in your best interests to hire a personal injury lawyer in your area if you need help with a lawsuit. Your attorney can provide you with guidance and legal research, and can represent you during the process as well.