Damages Available in Slip and Fall Cases

Locate a Local Personal Injury Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Personal Injury Law Issues:

What Can I Do If I Am Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident?

After a slip and fall accident, you may rack up expensive medical bills and other costs relating to your injury. To receive compensation for your expenses, you may file a civil lawsuit against the owner of the property where you were hurt.

Depending on the jurisdiction and the facts of the case, you may receive certain damages from the property owner.

What Sort of Compensation Can I Recover?

If you have been injured by the actions of another, the court will usually award you compensation in the form of something known as damages.
There are two common types of damages in personal injury cases:

What Are Special Damages?

The most common damages awarded in slip and fall cases are known as special damages. Special damages work to reimburse you for any expenses incurred as a result of the accident.

These can include:

What Are General Damages?

In addition to specific damages, you may also be able to recover "general" damages. General damages compensate you for your subjective losses.

These can include:

The more severe or permanent the injury, the more likely you will be awarded these damages.

Do I Need a Lawyer If I Have Been Injured in a Slip and Fall?

Yes. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident it is important that you contact a personal injury lawyer. A lawyer can help with the process because some states limit or prohibit the amount of damages you can recover in a slip and fall case.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 07-30-2015 05:07 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark