H-3 Visa

Authored by , LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Find a Lawyer

The H-3 visa allows a foreign national to come to the U.S. to receive vocational training at a U.S. company. The training must be at a company, and not a school. The H-3 visa cannot be used to come to the U.S. for a graduate program or medical training. The training must be of a type that is not available in the applicant’s home country.

To qualify for an H-3 visa, an applicant must show that he or she is not receiving graduate medical training, does not have the opportunity to seek similar training in his or her own country, the training offered does not employ U.S. citizens, and that the applicant will not be employed during his or her stay in the U.S. The H-3 visa holder may accept part-time employment if it is reasonably related to their training.

The H-3 visa allows a person to get valuable professional training which can then be used in their home country. The visa holder can travel around and outside the U.S. an unlimited number of times, for unlimited periods of time, while on an H-3 visa. It also allows the spouse and/or dependents of the visa holder to enter the U.S. with an H-4 visa.

The H-3 visa lasts as long as the training is scheduled to last, and it cannot be extended. When the visa expires, the trainee cannot apply for a change in status. However, they can change their status before the visa expires.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 07-30-2013 02:25 PM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Did you find this article informative?

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

H-3 Visa, immigration law,visa holder,law,lawyer,visa,legal,training,immigration,employ,attorney,holder