Indecent exposure is the crime of a person exposing their private parts to another person with the specific intent to expose themselves for sexual gratification or to offend people. In majority of states, and in Texas, the crime of indecent exposure doesn’t require the defendant to touch or threaten with physical violence for them to be charged.

In Texas, is it Illegal to Expose Myself in Public?

Yes. In Texas, a person is guilty of indecent exposure when they: 

  • Exposed any part of their genitals or anus;
  • With the intent to gratify or arouse the sexual desire of any individual; and
  • Was reckless as to whether the other individual present would either be alarmed or offended by the act.

Will I have to Register as a Sex Offender for a First-Time Indecent Exposure Conviction?

No. The Texas Offender Registration Program requires a person who has a “reportable conviction or adjudication” to register as a sex offender. Under the State Law, a “reportable conviction or adjudication” includes:

  • Sexual assault
  • Aggravated kidnapping
  • A sex crime involving a victim under 17 years old
  • Possession of child pornography

Is the Indecent Exposure Crime Ever a “Reportable Conviction or Adjudication” Offense?

Yes. If a person is convicted of indecent exposure a second time, they may be forced to register as a sex offender. However, the sentence imposed is always up to the discretion of the court.

How is Indecent Exposure Charged?

In Texas, indecent exposure is charged as a class B misdemeanor for a first time offense. It is punishable by up to 180 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,000.

A second offense of indecent exposure can result in the crime being charged as a class A misdemeanor. The punishment for a class A misdemeanor is up to 1 year in jail and/or a fine of up to $4,000. 

Should I Hire a Lawyer to Represent Me in My Case?

Yes, if you’ve been charged with indecent exposure in Texas, it is in your best interest to contact a Texas criminal lawyer. An experienced lawyer will represent you court and work to get your charged reduced or dismissed.