Find the right lawyer now

Tenants and Crime Prevention

Find a Local Real Estate Lawyer near You

What Steps Can Tenants Undertake to Prevent Crime?

There are a variety of steps that tenants can undertake to prevent crime.  First, it's important to determine what safety precautions a tenant has in place in their building.  A tenant can do this by comparing what other building security measure nearby have installed and compare those with your building.  Second, decide what measures as a tenant you would like to see in place that could help to increase security.

What are Some Minimal Safety Requirements?

Landlords have a responsibility to provide minimal security measures.  These security measures can include the installation of:

  • Locks
  • Deadbolts
  • Peepholes

Landlords that don't provide these basic measures are subject to a wide variety of penalties.  Landlords also may be exposed to civil suits by tenants for failure to provide these security measures.

Should I Make My Landlord Aware of any Safety Problems?

Tenants should make their landlord aware of safety concerns as soon as possible.  If a landlord has misrepresented safety measures, a tenant should hold the landlord accountable for the promises made.  An open discussion with landlords will help foster good relations and may reduce future litigation.  Many landlords might provide these security measures in fear that tenants might file suits.

Can I Leave the Premises Because of Inadequate Safety Measures?

A tenant can break a lease if he or she feels that inadequate safety measures are undertaken.  However, a tenant should provide the landlord with reasonable notice of their intention to leave the premises.  A tenant also can install reasonable security measures and reduce the repairs in rent.  However, the security measures must be reasonable under the circumstances.

Should I Consult a Lawyer about Safety Concerns My Landlord Won't Address?

An experienced landlord-tenant lawyer can help tenants determine what steps can be taken against landlords that don't provide adequate security measures.  A landlord-tenant attorney also can help tenants understand the applicable laws and regulations in their state.

Photo of page author Ken LaMance

, LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Last Modified: 07-03-2018 05:32 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.