Speeding and Moving Violation Lawyers

Locate a Local Criminal Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Defense and Criminal Law Issues

What Is a Speeding or Moving Violation?

Most speeding and moving violations are not considered criminal offenses. Rather, they are only infractions. A speeding or moving violation will carry a fine, affect your ability to get a driver's license, or raise your car insurance rates, but will likely not result in jail time or other criminal punishments. The laws for speeding and moving violations vary widely by states, counties, and cities, making it important to be informed of local laws.

Typical Traffic Violations:

What Are My Options When Issued a Speeding or Moving Violation?

A ticket typically will include a court date and time, and possibly the amount of the fine. Accepting a ticket is not the same as accepting responsibility.

Often times, a traffic court will offer the option of attending a driving program or traffic school. When the program is complete, the speeding or moving violation is removed from ones record.

After you have received a violation, your options include:

1) Admit Responsibility

Admitting responsibility for the speeding or moving violation is generally done by entering a plea of no contest. This technically is not admitting or denying responsibility, but simply paying a fine. Paying the fine is done one of two ways: by mail or in person on or before your court date. If there is not a fine listed on the citation, there is typically a number listed on the ticket, which should provide information as to the cost of the ticket and where to send payment.

2) Contest the ticket

Contesting the ticket is done by entering a not guilty plea. This effectively denies that there was a violation. The next step is proving that the charges against are false and is done so at a hearing or trial. At this time, the you may request a hearing or trial by mail or a  hearing or trial in court.

If the person is found responsible or guilty at trial, they will be issued a penalty. This penalty may or may not be the same amount listed on the ticket. Moreover, this individual may be liable for additional court costs and other fees. If at the person prevails at trial, the speeding or moving violation will be dismissed and removed from their record. No fee will be imposed.

Should I Speak to an Attorney?

If you were cited for a speeding or moving violation, you should speak to an attorney immediately. A lawyer can inform you of your rights and potential defenses, and effectively represent you before a traffic court.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 07-19-2016 10:15 AM PDT

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark