Rent Control in Los Angeles

Locate a Local Real Estate Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Real Estate Issues

Rent Control in Los Angeles

Many cities, including Los Angeles, have rent control ordinances that protect tenants from large rent increases. This guide will help you identify whether you are protected by rent control and how you are protected.

Is My Home Protected by Rent Control?

To qualify for rent control protection, your rented home must be:

Properties not protected by rent control include:

What Protections Do I Get with Rent Control?

If your rental unit is protected by rent control, then:

Can My Landlord Raise my Rent for Other Reasons?

While your landlord may not raise your baseline rent by more than the fixed percentage, they may increase your rent slightly for other costs they incur, such as:

For example, if you paid $1000 a month in rent in 2013, and the CPI was set at 3%, then your landlord could only raise your rent by 3%, plus 1% for gas and 1% for electricity if the landlord pays for utilities. Thus, in 2014, your rent would increase by a maximum of 5% to $1050.

Can a Landlord Raise Rent by More than the Maximum after a Tenant Vacates?

Yes. Once a tenant vacates a unit the landlord may set the rent at market price. However, the tenant must vacate voluntarily or be evicted for a legitimate reason, such as:

Thus, the landlord cannot just evict tenants in bad faith in order to raise the rent.

Contacting an Attorney

If you have an issue with your rent or landlord you should contact an attorney who handles landlord/tenant issues.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 02-04-2014 02:43 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark