The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and other public housing agencies help people get into homes by funding programs that assist low-income people. Some programs that HUD funds are:

  • Low rent housing: the government provides funds directly to apartment owners, who then charge lower rent for qualified tenants (tenants that do not earn over a certain income limit). This is available for individuals, families, senior citizens, and persons with disabilities.
  • Public housing: apartments operated by local housing agencies that are available to low-income people who do not earn over a certain income limit.
  • Housing Choice Vouchers or Section 8: Housing vouchers that pay for part or all of the rent for places that qualified tenants find on their own.
  • Local rental programs: State and local governments create their own programs using HUD funds.

Does HUD Provide for More Than Just Housing?

There are various HUD programs that provide for specific needs, aside from housing. Public housing agencies can also provide additional services like:

  • Computer training and job seeking skills
  • Apprenticeship programs

What Rights Come With Housing Provided by HUD?

Those living in HUD assisted housing have rights similar to private tenant rights, which include: 

Do I Need a Lawyer if I Have a Federal Housing Problem?

If you feel that any of your rights have been violated, a real estate lawyer can help you discover whether management is in compliance with all of the federal and state regulations and codes.