Find the right lawyer now

Redemption after HOA Foreclosure

Find a Local Real Estate Lawyer near You

Redemption after Foreclosure by a Homeowners' Association

Homeowners' association (HOA) dues are mandatory. If you do not pay them, then the HOA will have a right to foreclosure on your property to collect their dues. Even so, depending on the state you live in, you may have the right to redeem your property. In other words, you may pay past dues you owe to stop the foreclosure process.

Does the Right of Redemption Apply to Me?

Not all states give homeowners the right of redemption. However, in most cases, where the state does provide for a right of redemption, the homeowner’s association cannot force the homeowner to waive this right in its CC&R’s.

When Is the Right of Redemption Period?

The right of redemption usually occurs after the foreclosure sale has gone through. Afterwards, depending on the type of foreclosure, the homeowner has a period of time to buy back its property. For example, in California, the property owner has 90 days after a non-judicial foreclosure has occurred.

Even if your state does not have a specific right of redemption law, there may be other venues to reclaim your property.

What Is the Associate Cost to Stop Foreclosure?

In most cases, the homeowner must pay the entire HOA lien amount, the interest, and attorneys’ fees associated with the redemption.

Do I Need a Lawyer?

You will need to retain a real estate lawyer to help you in the redemption process. He will show you your options and walk you through the process.

Photo of page author Mabel Yee

, LegalMatch Legal Writer

Last Modified: 07-29-2014 12:24 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.