Procedures for International Adoptions

Locate a Local Family Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Family Law Issues:

What Are the U.S. Rules and Procedures for International Adoption?

In an international adoption, the new parents must satisfy the adoption requirement of both the foreign country and the parents' home state in the United States. Parents also must obtain an immigrant visa for the child from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services once certain adoption requirements have been satisfied. These requirements include:

What Countries Can I Adopt a Child From?

American parents have adopted children from more than 50 countries in Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and Africa. American parents are ineligible to adopt children from Western Europe, Australia, or Canada. As of 2002, most of the foreign children adopted in the United States came from China, Russia, Guatemala, South Korea and the Ukraine.

What are the International Rules and Procedures for a Foreign Adoption?

The requirements for an international adoption vary widely from country to country:

Do I Need a Lawyer for an International Adoption?

International adoptions are very complex; perhaps even more so than adoptions in the United States. An experienced family lawyer can advise you as to your duties and rights. A family lawyer also can help you file any necessary paperwork.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 12-09-2015 03:17 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark