Find the right lawyer now

Rights of Biological Parents

Find a Local Family Lawyer near You

Rights of Biological Parents after Adoption

In most circumstances, a biological parent severs all ties with their child once the child is adopted. A biological parent also loses all legal rights, including visitation and custody, once the adoption becomes final. The same is true for biological grandparents.

Waiting Periods

Many states have a waiting period in which a biological parent may change their mind about the adoption. This waiting period ranges from forty-eight hours to eight days, during which the biological mother may change her mind and have her child returned to her.

Surrogate Mothers

The laws governing surrogate contracts vary from state to state. Some states do not recognize such contracts, while others allow surrogate contracts if no money is exchanged. A few states allow surrogate contracts even where money is exchanged. In states that recognize surrogate contracts, the law generally states that a surrogate mother releases all parental rights to the child at birth. Once the child is born, the biological mother and father adopt the child from the surrogate mother.

How Can a Lawyer help?

If you have an adoption or family issue a family lawyer can advise you on the law in your area and help solve your problem.

Photo of page author Ken LaMance

, LegalMatch Law Library Managing Editor and Attorney at Law

Last Modified: 04-23-2018 11:29 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.