To register a motion picture, send the following to the Copyright Office in Washington D.C.:

  • A signed application on Form PA
  • One complete copy of the motion picture being registered
  • A separate written description of the contents of the motion picture and a non refundable filing fee in the form of a check (must check with the Copyright Office for current fees)

What Do I Need to Know about Form PA?

You must know the following:

  • Under nature of work, motion picture is the most generally accepted term
  • If everyone working on the film was made for hire, you must list the employer as the author
  • If no part of the movie was made for hire, name all the individuals who made the motion picture as authors.
  • The date of publication occurs when one or more copies are distributed to the public by sale, rental, lease, or lending, or when an offering is made to distribute copies to a group of people for purposes of further distribution or public performance.

Should I Contact an Attorney Regarding My Motion Picture?

If you have made a movie and are in the process of registering the film, you may fine the advice of an intellectual property attorney very helpful. Because of the complex nature of artistic registration, the counsel of an intellectual property attorney who specializes in motion pictures could significantly help in the process.