Find the right lawyer now

Public Domain Music

Find a Local Intellectual Property Lawyer near You

What Is Public Domain Music?

Public domain music is music that is listed in the public domain registry. Basically, such songs are not copyrighted and therefore do not "belong" to anyone. That is, no one person holds copyright protections with regards to sales or usage.

Music can enter into the public domain in many ways, such as:

  • Previous copyrights have expired
  • The creator specifically entered the work into the public domain
  • Copyrights never existed for the song

Can Anyone Use Public Domain Music?

Unlike copyrighted music, anyone can use, perform, or sell public domain music. With copyrighted music, the copyright holder usually needs to authorize any sales or performances of the work. Thus, public domain music is popular for business uses, especially advertisements and campaigns, as it will help the company save money on royalty fees.

When Does Music Enter Into the Public Domain?

Under U.S. copyright laws, the copyrights last up to 28 years, plus an extra 47 years after a renewal. This is a total of 75 years, after which, the work will enter into the public domain. All music that was published before 1923 is currently in the public domain (unless newer editions have been made, which can be copyrighted). Copyright applications may also vary for songs existing before 1973 (which was a year of major reform in copyright laws).

Can I Put a Copyright on Public Domain Music?

Generally not- public domain music is already in the domain and may not be copyrighted as it appears according to the registry. What you can do, however, is alter a public domain work such that it becomes an entirely new work in its own right. If this happens, the new song can usually be copyrighted.

Do I Need a Lawyer for Help with Public Domain Laws?

Music and public domain issues require a careful and thorough understanding of U.S. copyright laws. You may wish to hire a copyright lawyer if you need help with these types of legal issues. Your attorney can provide guidance for your claim and can also represent you during a lawsuit if you need to file one.

Photo of page author Jose Rivera

, LegalMatch Legal Writer

Last Modified: 06-20-2018 08:03 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.