The law tends to favor the insured when different interpretations of words in the terms of coverage are possible. If you feel the meaning of a word in the terms of coverage might cause a denial of coverage, the law tends to be on your side.
Does Coverage Stop If I Lose My Job?
Provided the company you worked for had 20 or more employees, benefits remain available to those who lose their job. If you have lost your job, you can purchase health insurance through the former employer¿s health insurance plan under a program called the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, also known as COBRA. This coverage is good for 18 months following the date you lost your job.
How Do I Obtain Health Coverage Once COBRA Expires?
There are many ways for you to obtain health coverage once COBRA expires or for other reasons as well:
- You can obtain individual insurance
- If part of a small business, you can obtain health insurance through group endorsed insurance packages that include health insurance coverage
- Social security (if you have reached the eligible age)
- CHAMPUS for military dependents
- Medicaid for the indigent or disadvantaged
Do I Need a Lawyer to Help Me with My Health Insurance Problem?
Interpreting your health plan policy can be tricky. A business attorney can help you understand your policy and let you know exactly what kind of benefits you are entitled to. If you have a problem with your health insurance company and want to sue them, an attorney will know all the ins-and-outs of taking on a big health insurance company.