Inadmissibility Lawyers

Locate a Local Immigration Lawyer

Find Lawyers in Other Categories
Most Common Immigration Law Issues:

How Does One Gain Entry into the U.S.?

An alien may apply for a visa at a U.S. Consul in his home country. If a visa is issued to him, he is free to come to the U.S. and attempt to enter. At the border, he will then undergo inspection, or questioning, by Immigration. Counsel is not afforded to such person. Since the alien is seen as 'knocking at the door', he is not deemed to have constitutional protection.

Applying for Admission

Immigration law is governed by the Immigration and Nationality Act, which provides the basic framework for the immigration system. Any alien (outside the United States) wishing to live in the U.S. must apply for an immigrant visa. However, the alien must do so at a U.S. Consulate in his home country, not at the port of entry. An alien wishing to receive an immigrant visa must obtain a sponsor (a U.S. citizen, usually a family member) who files a petition to allow the alien to apply for admission.

Grounds of Inadmissibility

When an alien first applies for admission, he is subject to grounds of inadmissibility (formerly "exclusion"). Inadmissibility is considered by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) (formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service) at the time of arrival at a port of entry. Grounds of inadmissibility can be considered at the time of the visa application, at any admission, or when adjusting status.
An alien who is deemed inadmissible may not enter the country. An alien may be inadmissible for a number of reasons, including:

Should I Contact an Attorney?

If you are deemed inadmissible it is important to speak to an Immigration Attorney. They can advise you of your rights in this complicated area of the law.

Consult a Lawyer - Present Your Case Now!
Last Modified: 12-14-2013 12:26 PM PST

Find the Right Lawyer Now

Link to this page

Law Library Disclaimer

LegalMatch Service Mark