How to Transfer a Car Title

Where You Need a Lawyer:

(This may not be the same place you live)

At No Cost! 

 What Is a Car Title?

A car title shows ownership of a vehicle. The title includes information about the owner’s name and address, the vehicle’s make and model, the vehicle identification number (VIN), and any liens or loans on the vehicle. After the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issues the car title, it serves as proof of ownership and registration of the vehicle.

A car title lawyer is a professional who specializes in resolving issues related to car titles. They can help you with a variety of legal matters related to car titles, such as:

  1. Title transfers: A car title lawyer can help transfer the ownership of a vehicle from one person to another, whether it’s due to a sale, gift, or inheritance.
  2. Title defects: A lawyer can help resolve incorrect or missing information on a car title, title fraud, or other defects that prevent you from selling or registering your vehicle.
  3. Lien disputes: A car title lawyer can help you navigate disputes related to liens on your vehicles, such as those filed by lenders, mechanics, or other parties with a legal claim to the vehicle.
  4. Title search: Your lawyer can conduct a thorough search of public records to ensure that the title of your vehicle is clear and free of any liens, encumbrances, or defects.

Overall, a car title lawyer can provide you with legal advice and representation to help you protect your rights and interests related to your vehicles’ titles.

How to Transfer a Car Title?

The process for transferring a car title varies slightly from state to state. However, the following steps generally must be taken:

  1. Obtain the necessary documents: The seller should provide the buyer with a signed title, including the odometer reading, and any other required forms or documents, such as a release of lien or smog certificate.
  2. Fill out the title: The buyer should fill out the buyer’s section of the title with their name, address, and signature. Some states may also require the purchase price.
  3. Submit the title: The buyer should submit the completed title, along with any other required documents, to the state DMV, along with the appropriate fees. Some states may also require a VIN inspection before the transfer can be completed.
  4. Obtain a new title: Once the transfer is complete, the buyer should receive a new title in their name, which serves as proof of ownership.

The requirements for transferring a car title can vary depending on the state and the transaction. It’s a good idea to check with the state’s DMV or speak with a car title lawyer to ensure that all necessary steps are taken.

Some states require a bill of sale as proof of the purchase price, while others do not. Even if it’s not required, a bill of sale can be a useful document to have as it provides evidence of the transaction, including the date of sale and the names of the buyer and seller.

What Documents Do I Need for a DMV Transfer?

Documents required for a DMV transfer depend on which state you live in, but generally include the following:

  1. The vehicle title: The original title or a certified copy is usually required.
  2. Bill of sale: Some states require a bill of sale as proof of the purchase price.
  3. Smog certificate: In many states, such as California, Arizona, or Alaska, a smog certificate may be required to transfer the title.
  4. Release of lien: If there is a lien on the vehicle, the lienholder must provide a release of the lien before the title can be transferred.
  5. Odometer reading: The odometer reading must be included in the title or on a separate odometer disclosure statement.
  6. ID and proof of insurance: The buyer will typically need to provide a valid driver’s license or other forms of government-issued identification and proof of insurance.

You should check with your state’s DMV to find out exactly which documents are required for a title transfer.

What Fees Are Associated with Title Transfers?

The fees associated with title transfers are different in every state. However, they may include:

  1. Title transfer fee: This fee covers the cost of transferring the title from the seller to the buyer.
  2. Registration fee: The buyer will also need to pay a registration fee to get new license plates and registration stickers.
  3. Sales tax: Depending which state you live in, you may be required to pay sales tax on the vehicle’s purchase price.
  4. Smog check fee: If a smog certificate is required, the buyer must pay for the smog check.
  5. Late fees: Late fees may be assessed if the transfer is not completed within a certain timeframe.

Again, check with your state’s DMV to find out exactly what fees are associated with title transfers.

What If I Am Buying a Car from a Different State?

Buying a car from a different state can present several legal issues, such as violations of state emission laws. For this reason, you should research your state’s emissions requirements and make sure that the vehicle meets those standards before purchasing. Some states require an emissions inspection before a title transfer can be completed.

When buying a car from another state, you need to make sure the title is properly transferred and registered in your state. You will need to follow the title transfer process in your state, which may require additional paperwork or fees.

What If the Previous Owner Does Not Have Title to the Car?

If the previous owner does not have the title to the car, you should be cautious and try to get the title before completing the purchase. If the title cannot be obtained, you may be able to apply for a bonded title or a court-ordered title, which involves getting a court order declaring yourself as the legal owner of the vehicle. However, this process can be complicated and may require a lawyer.

An attorney for car title problems can help you when the previous owner does not have the title to the car. A lawyer can walk you through the process of getting a bonded or court-ordered title. In addition, a lawyer can help if other title-related issues, such as title defects, lien disputes, or fraudulent titles, pop up.

Do I Need an Attorney to Handle Car Title Problems?

While it’s not always necessary to hire an attorney to handle car title problems, there are situations where legal assistance can be helpful. If you’re facing title-related issues such as title defects, lien disputes, or fraudulent titles, consult an auto lawyer specializing in car title law.

An attorney for car title problems can provide valuable advice on the best course of action to resolve the title issue and help you understand your legal options.

LegalMatch’s online platform can help you find the right attorney for your car title needs. With LegalMatch, you can easily search for attorneys specializing in car title law, personal injury law, and other areas of law. Simply provide some basic information about your case, and LegalMatch will match you with qualified attorneys in your area who are experienced in handling cases similar to yours. By using LegalMatch, you can save time and ensure that you’re getting the best legal representation for your car title issue.

Law Library Disclaimer


16 people have successfully posted their cases

Find a Lawyer