The government (i.e., local municipalities, state and federal agencies) employs people in numerous areas. Some of these areas include:

  • Elected and appointment positions
  • Inspectors (e.g., border patrol, health, environmental protection)
  • Military/Defense (e.g., civilians & soldiers, defense contractors, airport security)
  • Police and fire
  • Postal services
  • Public education and health services
  • Public works (e.g., sewage, street lights, water)
  • Social Security Administration
  • Tax assessment and collection

What Are Some Common Governmental Discrimination Cases?

Some typical governmental discrimination cases involve:

  • Race – Many suits on the basis of race challenge the constitutionality of government programs that are designed to provide contracts/subcontracts to disadvantaged/minority business enterprises.
  • Age – Several suits on the basis of age allege employers made reassignments and forced the retirement of employees of certain ages.
  • National origin – Some suits on the basis of national origin claim governmental discrimination in the exclusion of resident aliens from some civil service jobs.

What Is the Procedure to File a Discrimination Suit against My Government Employer?

In nearly all cases, you must first file your complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) before filing a lawsuit against your employer. The complaint must be filed by mail or in person within 180 days. This 180-day filing deadline is extended to 300 days if the charge also is covered by a state or local anti-discrimination law. Your EEOC complaint must include:

  • Your name, address and telephone number
  • Name, address, and telephone number of the alleged discriminatory employer, employment agency, or union, and number of employees (or union members), if known
  • Short description of the event that caused you to believe your rights were violated, including the date(s) of the alleged violation(s)

Federal employees or applicants for employment who believe they are victims of governmental discrimination should contact an EEOC Counselor at that federal agency within 45 days of the discriminatory action.

Do I Need a Governmental Discrimination Lawyer?

If you feel that the government has discriminated against you, speak to a civil rights lawyer. It may also be wise to consult with an employment lawyer to discuss your options if the discrimination occurred at a government job. Speaking with the proper attorney experienced in governmental discrimination cases will help educate you of your rights as well as preserve any legal remedies you may have.

Present your case to Government Lawyers now!