Find the right lawyer now

Filing for Divorce in Indiana

Find a Local Family Lawyer near You

Filing for Divorce in Indiana

Indiana is a no-fault divorce state. However, it does provide a spouse limited number of grounds on which to file a divorce. The state also has residency requirements to file for divorce. At least one spouse must live in the:

  • State for at least six months and
  • County where the divorce petition is filed for at least three months.

What are the Forms Needed to Start My Divorce?

The specific forms a spouse needs to file depends on the specific issues that exist in the divorce. In general, the needed forms to start the divorce include:

  • Petition for Dissolution of Marriage
  • Financial Declaration
  • Summons
  • Child Support Obligation

The Child Support Obligation form only applies if the couple has minor children. 

Do I Have to Serve My Spouse with the Divorce Petition?

Yes, the state expects the petitioner to serve their spouse with divorce papers. A spouse can send the petition:

  • By private process server
  • Via certified mail
  • By sheriff’s service

Be aware that you will have to pay a fee for using a sheriff’s service. The payment for the fee should be issued to the county and the sheriff’s office.

Do I Have to Stay in Indiana After I File for Divorce?

It depends. One or both spouses can move out of Indiana during the divorce process if there are no minor children. However, if minor children are involved, a spouse may be prohibited from moving. The spouses are expected to attend all divorce proceedings.

When Will My Divorce Be Final?

Indiana has a 60-day waiting period after the petition is filed. After the expiration of the waiting period, a hearing is held. If both spouses agree on all of the terms, they will receive their divorce decree sooner. If either spouse contests any of the terms, the spouses will have to resolve those issues before receiving the divorce decree.

Do I Need an Attorney to Help Me with My Divorce?

Dissolving a marriage is complicated. Thus, it is imperative that you have a divorce attorney helping you through the process. An attorney can also assist you in dealing with whatever surprises or complications that may occur.

Photo of page author Taelonnda Sewell

, LegalMatch Legal Writer

Last Modified: 05-05-2017 03:00 PM PDT

Law Library Disclaimer
  • No fee to present your case
  • Choose from lawyers in your area
  • A 100% confidential service
What is LegalMatch?

We've helped more than 4 million clients find the right lawyer – for free. Present your case online in minutes. LegalMatch matches you to pre-screened lawyers in your city or county based on the specifics of your case. Within 24 hours experienced local lawyers review it and evaluate if you have a solid case. If so, attorneys respond with an offer to represent you that includes a full attorney profile with details on their fee structure, background, and ratings by other LegalMatch users so you can decide if they're the right lawyer for you.