Electrical fires are fires caused by electricity or an electrical fault. Some electrical fires happen because of problems in house wiring or appliance failure, but many occur because a homeowner overloads electrical outlets or extension cords.
Below are the 5 most common causes of electrical fires.
- Fault Outlets or Appliances: Most electrical fires are caused by faulty outlets and old, outdated appliances.
- Light Fixtures: Light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs are another common reason for electrical fires. Installing a bulb with a wattage that’s too high for the lamps is a leading cause of electrical fires.
- Extension Cords: Misuse of extension cords, such as appliances that should be plugged directly into an outlet but are plugged into an extension cord, can cause electrical fires.
- Space Heaters: Space heaters that are placed too close to combustible surfaces such as curtains, beds, clothing, chairs, couches and rugs can cause fires.
- Wiring: Outdated wiring of homes that are over 20 years old and don’t have the wiring capacity to handle increased amounts of electrical appliances (such as computers, TVs, microwaves, etc.) cause electrical fires.
Fire injuries encompass a wide array of personal injuries. They can include injuries caused by exposure to fire, such as first, second, and third-degree burns, or injuries caused by the effects from fire, such as respiratory injuries or even death.
Generally speaking, depending on the facts and circumstances surrounding your electrical fire, you may be able to sue for relief from your electrical fire. For example, if you buy a new appliance that spontaneously combusts, even though it was properly installed into a working outlet, you can sue the manufacturer and seller of the appliance.
Similarly, if your space heater is placed too close to curtains which cause an electrical fire, you may be able to sue the space heater manufacturer if the space heater failed to have adequate warnings of risk for fire.
You may also be able to sue your construction company if they improperly wired your electrical in your home which resulted in a house fire. If you’re a renter, you may be able to sue the owner of the property.
An electrical fire can be devastating and result in significant damage and property loss. To determine if you can sue and who the possible defendants might be, contact a personal injury lawyer.